Monopoly Strategy Tips
Monopoly is a game of chance, but it's a game of chance with a distinct strategy element, in much the same way that poker and backgammon have both random and strategic elements. On this page I've included some strategy advice which should help you win at Monopoly.
- Buy lots of properties when you land on them. In fact, it's not a bad idea to actually buy everything you land on, instead of letting those properties go up for auction.
- Buying properties does a couple of things. It prevents other players from building monopolies, and it enables you to build monopolies.
- The best ROI comes from having 3 houses on a property. Only buy a 4th house and/or hotel if you can really afford it.
- Creating a housing shortage can make it impossible for other players to develop their properties. Take advantage of this fact intelligently.
- Being in jail can be a good thing, especially during the middle of the game when most of the properties have already been bought. A player who is sitting in jail doesn't have to worry about landing on something and paying rent.
- Don't ignore the low-priced properties. The rent on those can add up quickly, and the ROI, considering the price of the properties, is surprisingly good.
- If you can get two monopolies on the same row, you dramatically increase your opponents' chances of having to pay you big rent.
Keep these strategy tips in mind and you'll go a long way toward becoming a winning Monopoly player on a consistent basis.